b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] actual Hebrew question about Daniel 9:25

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Steve Miller" <smille10 AT sbcglobal.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] actual Hebrew question about Daniel 9:25
  • Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2006 22:02:56 -0700

Steve:

On 10/22/06, Steve Miller <smille10 AT sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> From: Behalf Of K Randolph
>
> Steve:

> Further, you
> have limited the readings of some of the purposes to other than what
> is allowed by the Hebrew.

[Steve Miller] that could be. Which ones & how?
Thanks,
-Steve

> > Did Christ fulfill all 6 purposes in His 1st coming?
> > I do not think so, because the 70 weeks are concerning Daniel's people
> and
> > Daniel's holy city.
> > 1. to finish the transgression - yes

Assuming that "finish" refers to "restrain" as in putting in jail, and
"transgression" for "rebellion" or "rebel" (either could be read from
the consonantal text).

> > 2. to make an end of sins - I think not yet for Daniel's people

The text does not say "to make an end", rather "to put a seal on" like
the seal of an envelop. That can include the idea that error was put
in an envelop, sealed up and sent away.

> > 3. to make reconciliation for iniquity - I think not yet for Daniel's
> people

To cover perversion, can include the idea of paying the price for.

> > 4. to bring in everlasting righteousness - I think not yet for Daniel's
> > people

צדק CDQ can either be an adjective "just", adverb "justly", or noun
"justness" or "just person".

> > 5. to seal up the vision and prophecy - no. This will happen in Zech.
> 13:2-5
> > 6. to anoint the holy of holies - no. Since it is concerning Daniel's
> holy
> > city, this must be the physical holy of holies in Jerusalem.

Though set apart of set aparts is often used for the innermost room of
the temple, that is not the only translation. A set apart person was
one dedicated to a particular task, and a person from that group set
apart from the others, ... and he is the one to be anointed. Limiting
it to the temple room may give the wrong meaning.

> > -Steve Miller
> > Detroit
> > www.voiceinwilderness.info

I see this list as oblique references to Messiah and his work that was
to occur within a seventy sevens period determined for the people and
city.