b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] actual Hebrew question about Daniel 9:25

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Steve Miller" <smille10 AT sbcglobal.net>
  • To: "'Shoshanna Walker'" <rosewalk AT concentric.net>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] actual Hebrew question about Daniel 9:25
  • Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2006 20:56:11 -0400

> From: Shoshanna Walker Sent: Monday, September 25, 2006 10:03 AM
>
> Rashi's commentary is very clear except for one paragraph which
> someone else on this list understood very well - if you keep in mind
> that a week is a set of 7 years, and that the time of the word to
> rebuild Jerusalem is not Cyrus saying it, and that the secular date
> of the destruction of the first temple of 586 BC, could be wrong, and
> the Torah could be right.
>
> Shoshanna
[Steve Miller] If it is so clear, why couldn't you answer my 5
straightforward questions about it below? The problem's I have with Rashi's
commentary on Dan. 9:25 have nothing to do with dates. It is that it
butchers the text of the Tanach. Here are some problems:
-Rashi divides the 70 weeks into 2 parts: 10 weeks (70 years captivity) and
60 weeks (420 years). But the text does not divide it in this way at all,
rather into 7 weeks, 62 weeks and 1 week.
-Rashi starts the 70 weeks, not with a word to restore and rebuild
Jerusalem, as the text says, but with the captivity.
-Rashi says the word to restore and rebuild the Jerusalem is the angel's
speaking to Daniel in answer to Daniel's prayer. But the angel did not give
a word to restore and rebuild Jerusalem. This is really strange. Cyrus'
command came just a couple years later. Why didn't Rashi use Cyrus' command
here, which would have been straightforward, instead of swallowing a camel
to try to make the angel's word fit this?

After reading the commentary thus far, I did not want to spend any more time
on it.
-Steve Miller
Detroit
www.voiceinwilderness.info