b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Kamatz katan

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "YODAN" <yodanco AT yodanco.com>
  • To: "'Yigal Levin'" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>, "'b-hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Kamatz katan
  • Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2006 16:13:59 -0700

I think that I (kind of) agree with you. The KK certainly has an important
function - it preserves the ancestral /U/ vowel, which developed into /O/
but sometimes a shortened form of /O/ is needed -- and that's the KK. The
Hataf-Kamatz is a shortened from of Holam and is "close" (like a "relative"
of) to KK rather than to KG.

I'm not sure with which assumption in what I wrote there's a problem. Can
you please clarify?

Thanks,

Rivka Sherman-Gold