b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Dates of Ezra and Nehemiah - and assumed knowledge

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Uri Hurwitz <uhurwitz AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Dates of Ezra and Nehemiah - and assumed knowledge
  • Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2006 16:55:02 -0700 (PDT)

It is a bit amusing to observe people express solemn
opinions on subjects in which they don't really have training.It
would appear that matters Egyptological are best left to
Egyptologists.
\
For example, Peter Kirk has written, inter alia:
"..... The orthodox estimate of
the date of Shoshenk I is dependent on estimates by Thiele etc of the
date of the Shishak invasion in 1 Kings. Kitchen et al have fitted other
Egyptian rulers around this date for Shoshenk I but with a lot of
uncertainties. And Thiele's dates are derived from the Bible and from
Mesopotamian data, but not at all from Egyptian. ....
--
Peter Kirk "

In addition to Kitchen's major reference work on this and other matters,
one may wish consult Hoffmeier's Israel in Egypt, and works by Curdis
and others. One may of course weigh their work against Egyptologists
who do not accept their dates.

To reject commonly accepted Egyptian chronologty because it does
not fit with biblical chronology -- clearly typological -- based on
numbers
such as 480 or 40 years, is an expression of faith, not scholarship.

Uri

Talk is cheap. Use Yahoo! Messenger to make PC-to-Phone calls. Great rates
starting at 1ยข/min.