b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] "I will be caused to eat" in Hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "B. M. Rocine" <brocine AT twcny.rr.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] "I will be caused to eat" in Hebrew
  • Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 17:49:11 -0400

Dear Kenneth,

אָאְָכַל

I expect the khataph qamets may not appear correctly. It is the vowel that combines the qamets and shewa into one vowel.

The khataph qamets is pronounced like the long *o* in boat, so the word is pronounced /ah o KHAL/ (emphasis on /KHAL/.

Hosea 11:4 )okiyl is "I fed," the hiphil yiqtol of the root AKL.

(You only see both the aleph prefix meaning "I" *and* the aleph root letter in the hophal stem, I think.)

Shalom,
Bryan

kenneth greifer wrote:
To B.M. Rocine,

I don't really know much about the Hebrew vowels, so I am a little confused about your answer about how to spell "I will be caused to eat" in Hebrew. I don't get the email or the digest so I am going to type out what you wrote. You spelled it " aleph qamatz, aleph khataph qametz, khoph (no dagesh) patakh, and lamed" , but you also wrote )F)OKAL. I am confused about the letter O. Is that the letter vav with the dot on top used as a vowel? Did you spell it the same both as words and as letters? Also, could someone write this out with Hebrew letters and vowels to make it easier for me to understand if possible?

Also, is the word in Hosea 11:4 spelled alef, vav,kaf , yud,lamed the hiphil "I" form of "to eat" "I will cause to eat" or is it some other word?

Sincerely,
Kenneth Greifer

--
B. M. Rocine