b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] actual Hebrew question about Daniel 9:25

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Shoshanna Walker <rosewalk AT concentric.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] actual Hebrew question about Daniel 9:25
  • Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2006 12:14:55 -0500

Rashi has it all worked out, there are two other opinions of chazal that I have since seen - all three of them work out with the 490 years.

Shoshanna

Steve,

I would have to disagree with you. I do believe that this prophecy deals with a specific time frame. Each week equals 7 years. This can be backed up by Genesis 29:27, where week refers specifically and undeniable to 7 years.

Sincerely,

Seth Knorr

From: K Randolph Sent: Monday, September 11, 2006 3:41 PM

Steve:

What you mention below is the most common pattern that I have
discovered. But like any linguistic pattern, there are exceptions to
the rule, and there are some where I have no idea how they fit any
pattern. The majority of such terms I have yet to analyse. There may
be other rules that I have yet to discover.
[Steve Miller] thanks Karl

As for the seven sevens and 62 sevens, were they concurrent with one
ending before the other, or did one follow the other? The text can be
read either way, though I think the concurrent reading is preferable.

[Steve Miller] I can't say for sure that the concurrent reading is not
possible, but surely it is not preferable. Reasons the sequential is
preferable are:
1) The 70 weeks are composed of 7 weeks, 62 weeks and 1 week, which add up
logically to 70. The concurrent interpretation has 62 weeks and 1 week. The
intervening 7 weeks are not mentioned and need to be assumed.
2) You require that there are 2 annointed one, rulers, but both words are
singular.
3) xxxx years and xxxx years is common in Tanach as a way of expressing that
the years should be added together. (i.e. Gen 5:5,7,8). Here the base is 7,
so separating out 49 years is like separating out 100 years.

My understanding is that when a time interval with a number is
mentioned in Tanakh, that it meant exactly that time interval. Other
intervals, without a number, may be expanded or contracted, include
gaps or whatsuch, but not a numbered sequence. To have a seventieth
seven break free and be floating therefore does not make sense.

[Steve Miller] The 70 weeks are not a time interval. They are the time which
God divided to Daniel's people to accomplish 6 purposes. They are not a time
from until . Within the 70 weeks there are 2 explicit
time intervals:
1)from the word to restore Jerusalem until an anointed one, a ruler, 7 weeks
and 62 weeks;
2)A covenant confirmed for 1 week.
-Steve Miller
Detroit