b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] is there are break between Gen 34:18 and 19?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "B. M. Rocine" <brocine AT twcny.rr.com>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] is there are break between Gen 34:18 and 19?
  • Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 13:53:08 -0400

Dear David,

Yes, its a break.

V. 19 does not introduce a new character or change characters, so I don't think that can be used as a justification. Also 19 reads *ha*nna`ar, and *ha*ddavar, both definite articles binding v. 19 to 18 at some level.

However, I would still consider v. 19 a break because the writer avoids mainline forms. He may easily have said, vayya`as hanna`ar... or vaymaher hanna`ar la`asot... to place the new event on the main plotline. Rather, by using an irrealis clause (and a noun sentence), he "demotes" the information in 19 to background for the scene at the city gate. Why put Shecem's circumcision into the background? It probably helps explain the town elders' willingness to entertain the terms of an agreement with Ya`akob's family.

I am not saying that all lo'-clauses, X-qatals, or noun sentences are found at the beginnings of their sections. They may be embedded within sections or close sections when they elaborate on previous events. Such is not the case in v. 19.

As I read Hemerdinger, he does indeed class the lo'-clause as an X-qatal, but others, such as Longacre, consider a lo' clause as another class labeled irrealis. I prefer the latter classification myself.

Shalom,
Bryan

David Gray wrote:
Is there are break between Gen 34:18 and 19?

At the beginning of 19 we find:

וְלֹֽא־אֵחַ֤ר הַנַּ֙עַר֙ לַעֲשֹׂ֣ות הַדָּבָ֔ר

Welo’-ekhar hanna‘ar la‘asowt haddavar

Does the class as an X-qatal, Hemerdinger (1999:22), and if so does this
signify a break?

Berlin has a break there, as shown by the change in characters (participants).

David Gray

--
B. M. Rocine
Living Word Church