b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Deut 33:3 - a meaningful translation needed??

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Shoshanna Walker <rosewalk AT concentric.net>
  • To: "B-Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.Ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Deut 33:3 - a meaningful translation needed??
  • Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 11:06:57 -0500

How in the world could it be referring to all the people in the world, and not only to Bnei Yisrael, since the first verse specifically says that Moshe blessed Bnei Yisrael, and then his entire speech is relating to Bnei Yisrael...

"Indeed you have loved the tribes greatly, all its holy ones were in your hands; for they planted themselves at Your feet, bearing [the yoke] of Your utterances"

The word "amim" is used - each tribe is a people unto itself- like in Genesis 35:11 - G-d tells Yaakov that a nation and a congregation of nations will descend from him

Shoshanna

I think that deutoronomy 33:3 should be translated:

"And furthermore, One who cherishes people...." as being more meaningful and
not constraining the text to 'imply' only the people in the wilderness.

If the general consensus amongst you agrees, then at least I know where I am
at. If there are objections then I would discuss this since I believe that I
have sound reasons in favour of scrapping -- :"Yes, He has loved the
people" OR "Surely, it is you who love the people"

Looking forward to replies
Regards,
Chris Watts
Ireland.