b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Different ways of pronouncing words in Biblical hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Different ways of pronouncing words in Biblical hebrew
  • Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 13:58:30 -0700

Chris:

I think we need to keep in mind that exact rules of spelling were not
invented before Samuel Johnson in England, or Noah Webster in the U.S.
I remember a comment that someone somewhere posted that Mr. Lewis,
while on the Lewis and Clark expedition, once spelled bear (the big,
furry, growly critter) three different ways in one sentence, and no
one at that time thought it unusual.

I have found the same pattern in Biblical Hebrew, especially
noticeable when reading the unpointed text. Even the Masoretes may
have had a certain amount of latitude that they allowed for spelling
of pronunciation.

Karl W. Randolph.