b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Daniel 9:25

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Daniel 9:25
  • Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2006 08:59:01 +0200

Liz and all,

We are forgetting the fact that 7 is a typological "magic number" in the Tanakh and in later Judaism, and likewise its multiples. Assuming that the various sets of sevens refer to real dates is expecting too much of the text. Also, assuming that Daniel was "really" written after the events that he "prophecises", that is, after the fall of both Babylon and Persia, any attempt to "break his code" is only guesswork, since we do not have a full account of the events of the 4-2 centuries, and we certainly don't know what events would have seemed very important to whatever group the author of Daniel belonged to.

Yigal Levin

----- Original Message ----- From: "Lisbeth S. Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>