b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Daniel 9:25

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Shoshanna Walker <rosewalk AT concentric.net>
  • To: "'B-Hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Daniel 9:25
  • Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 14:49:29 -0500

In the translation I am looking at, Mashiach Nagid is translated as the annointment of the prince. The prince in verse 25 is Cyrus, the Nagid in verse 26 is Aprippa, the last Jewish king, and the prince in verse 26 is Titus (the people of the prince will come and destroy the Sanctuary) - according to Rashi.

Verse 25: The 'septets' refer to full 7 years cycles. The prince of this verse is Cyrus, who gave permission to rebuild Jerusalem and the Temple. He ascended to the throne 52 years (seven septets plus 3 years) after the exile had begun. From then until the second destruction of Jerusalem was 438 years (62 septets plus 4 years)

Verse 26: Agrippa, the last Jewish king, at the end of the Second Temple Era. After his death, the prince of this verse, the Roman Titus, would command the destruction of the Temple, which will not be rebuilt until after the War of Gog and Magog, in Messianic times.

Shoshanna

Dear All,
You're forgetting the high priest, always the anointed leader of his people.
(e.g. Lev. 8:12).
It is probably Onias III or Simon II (the one described in Ben Sira). Simon
II is credited with restoring Jerusalem. Onias III is cut off and has
nothing.
The troops destroying the sanctuary are those of Antiochus IV.
Liz Fried