b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Harold: Re: To Harold: Tanach book order - different in Christian Bibles

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Harold Holmyard <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Harold: Re: To Harold: Tanach book order - different in Christian Bibles
  • Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2006 15:17:58 -0500

Dear Yonah and Shoshanna,

I never even heard of it - at first I thought he meant Encyclopedia Judaica

Shoshanna

*Even* the Jewish Encyclopedia?? Why is it that I never see a Jew
citing this as his authority for anything? We cite law codes and
commentaries. We do not cite the Jewish Encyclopedia. It is simply not
the authority on these matters.

Yonah

HH: Perhaps the reason the Jewish Encyclopedia is not cited as an authority is because it is old. It was done in 1906, but the advantage of it is that all 25,000 articles by over 400 scholars are online. It is solid scholarship; here are online links:

www.jewishencyclopedia.com
www.jewishencyclopedia.com/about.jsp

HH: There is an article about it in Wikipedia that has this note:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_Encyclopedia

Jenny Mendelsohn, of University of Toronto Libraries, in an online guide to major sources of information about Jews and Judaism says of this work, "Although published in the early 1900s, this was a work highly regarded for its scholarship. Much of the material is still of value to researchers in Jewish History." [1] Reform Jewish rabbi Joshua L. Segal calls it, "a remarkable piece of Jewish scholarship" and adds, "For events prior to 1900, it is considered to offer a level of scholarship superior to either of the more recent Jewish Encyclopedias written in English."

Yours,
Harold Holmyard