b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] To Harold: Tanach book order - different in Christian Bibles

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yonah Mishael" <yonahmishael AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] To Harold: Tanach book order - different in Christian Bibles
  • Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2006 22:17:53 -0500

So, for the sake of the integrity of the Jewish Encyclopedia (who
quotes this?), you would ignore the words of your god? (Jesus is the
Christian god, is he not?) He said that the Pharisees (that is, the
rabbis) "sit in the seat of Moses." If even Jesus agreed with the
claim that the seat of Moses had come down to the authorities at the
time of the Second Temple, and it is also the Jewish claim, then why
do you disagree?

Yonah

On 9/2/06, Harold Holmyard <hholmyard AT ont.com> wrote:
Dear Yonah,

>I'm always curious when I hear Christians disagree with the rulings ofthe
Sanhedrin and the Pharisees in general. It doesn't seem to be inagreement with
what their scriptures say. One verse that is key to howChristians should
understand the rabbis (in my opinion) is this:
>"The teachers of the law and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat. So youmust obey
them and do everything they tell you. But do not do whatthey do, for they do not practice
what they preach." (Matthew 23:2-3,NIV)
>What is the seat of Moses? The 70 elders were appointed by Moses tohandle
questions of ritual and justice. The authority given to these70 passed down to
the Sanhedrin, and also to the rabbis (this accountsfor the variation in
appointments seen in Exodus 18:
>"But select capable men from all the people—men who fear God,trustworthy men who
hate dishonest gain—and appoint them as officialsover thousands, hundreds, fifties and
tens." (Exodus 18:21, NIV)
>Why down to tens? Because a congregation exists when you have tenpeople, a
minyan. Thus, there were to be those who make decisions andhave authority only
over their congregation (a rabbi), and also thosewho had authority to be binding
over the whole nation (the Sanhedrin).
>This is completely biblical. Why would you think that the Sanhedrindid not
exist (I'm not saying by name) since the time of Moses to thetime of the Second
Temple?

HH: I guess you missed the post by Michael Abernathy. He wrote:

First, I note that the on line version of the Jewish encyclopedia (
http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/view.jsp?artid=229&letter=S )
states, ". . . but the fact that no passage whatever in the pre-exilic
books of the Bible refers to this institution seems to indicate that
it was not introduced before the time of the Second Temple." Is there
any written or archaeological evidence for the existence
of the Sanhedrin in pre-exilic times?

HH: This is part of the problem. Moses appointed seventy elders to assist
him, but this institution may have existed for the sake of Moses.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard