b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] To Harold: Tanach book order - different in Christian Bibles

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yonah Mishael" <yonahmishael AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] To Harold: Tanach book order - different in Christian Bibles
  • Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2006 21:20:19 -0500

I'm always curious when I hear Christians disagree with the rulings of
the Sanhedrin and the Pharisees in general. It doesn't seem to be in
agreement with what their scriptures say. One verse that is key to how
Christians should understand the rabbis (in my opinion) is this:

"The teachers of the law and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat. So you
must obey them and do everything they tell you. But do not do what
they do, for they do not practice what they preach." (Matthew 23:2-3,
NIV)

What is the seat of Moses? The 70 elders were appointed by Moses to
handle questions of ritual and justice. The authority given to these
70 passed down to the Sanhedrin, and also to the rabbis (this accounts
for the variation in appointments seen in Exodus 18:

"But select capable men from all the people—men who fear God,
trustworthy men who hate dishonest gain—and appoint them as officials
over thousands, hundreds, fifties and tens." (Exodus 18:21, NIV)

Why down to tens? Because a congregation exists when you have ten
people, a minyan. Thus, there were to be those who make decisions and
have authority only over their congregation (a rabbi), and also those
who had authority to be binding over the whole nation (the Sanhedrin).

This is completely biblical. Why would you think that the Sanhedrin
did not exist (I'm not saying by name) since the time of Moses to the
time of the Second Temple?

Regards,
Yonah