b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Was Daniel a prophet?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yonah Mishael" <yonahmishael AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Was Daniel a prophet?
  • Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2006 16:13:10 -0500

Do not the Scriptures declare that Moses was to set up a court to
decide all minor matters (Exodus 18)? The decision on all matters
passed to the leaders of the people, especially after the death of
Moses. Joshua received the tradition from Moses, and so it passed from
Moses to the men of the Great Synod and to the Sanhedrin and the
rabbis among the people. This is the authority to interpret specific
situations and how the Torah law applies to them. This is covered in
the verse first part of Pirkei Avos, which every religious Jew knows
and has read many times. The authority goes back to the time when
Moses set up judges among the people, and that is why the Sanhedrin
had the deciding cast on whether or not Daniel was a prophet. The
qualifications seem clear to me, as Shoshanna laid out now many times.

Yonah

On 9/1/06, Peter Kirk <peter AT qaya.org> wrote:
On 01/09/2006 18:25, Shoshanna Walker wrote:
> Matthew and Mark are not telling us if G-d considered Daniel to be a
prophet.

That is not Matthew Postiff's position, I guess. Some of us believe that
these are the very words of God, in the person of Jesus.

> Sanhedrin was authorized to decide that.

You can assert that, but God nowhere says in his written Word that the
Sanhedrin had any authority in this matter.

We have different ideas on such things, and it is pointless for any of
us to continue to make unqualified assertions based on our faith
positions which only inflame everyone else.

--
Peter Kirk
E-mail: peter AT qaya.org