b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] answer to Peter Re: Tanach book order - different in Christian Bibles

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Shoshanna Walker <rosewalk AT concentric.net>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] answer to Peter Re: Tanach book order - different in Christian Bibles
  • Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2006 14:22:15 -0500

G-d has already discussed leadership of the nation - judges, kings, Kohanim. Starting in Deuteronomy 18: 9, the Torah discusses the manner in which G-d will communicate His will, and whatever the nation must know of the future in order to fulfill its responsibilities to Him. First G-d tells the Jews that they are forbidden to copy the practices used by other nations to foretell events, they are to rely only on G-d, through prophets that He will send to speak in His name.

Then G-d tells the people He will send them prophets.

In Deuteronomy 13, the first few verses, G-d instructs how to know if someone is a false prophet.

The rest of Deuteronomy 18, G-d outlines laws concerning prophets, when a false prophet shall be put to death, and reiterates how to know if someone is a false prophet or not.

Someone asked me what is the source for Sanhedrin having to verify a prophet, I just answered a question, I didn't proselytize. In earlier posts I cited written Torah where it mandates a Sanhedrin, where it specifies the necessary personal qualities of members, where it tells us what the authority of the Sanhedrin is (even though it doesn't go into each and every detail of every single function), and tells us that we have to accept their authority and ask them when we have questions or need adjudication. I don't remember all the specific verses, I am not going to look them up again, my posts are in the archives, if there are archives of this list.

There HAD to be a standard so the people knew who was prophesying in G-d's name, and who was a false prophet. The Sanhedrin was the only body that could rule on this issue.

Ezekiel prophesied outside of Israel, but he BEGAN to prophecy in the Land of Israel, he was there at the beginning of his ministry, available to the Sanhedrin.

Indeed, in the sense of the five books of Moses. And there is nothing in the Torah about prophets being verified by the Sanhedrin.

How could your Sanhedrin based on the Temple Mount verify Ezekiel who ministered as a prophet in Babylon? And, if they existed as early as that, how did they avoid exile themselves? And why is there no mention of them in any of the books of the Tanakh?
The source for this is various places in the Oral Torah.

We are not talking about the Oral Torah. Remember that that is not accepted as authoritative by all on this list, any more than the teaching of Jesus is.

  • [b-hebrew] answer to Peter Re: Tanach book order - different in Christian Bibles, Shoshanna Walker, 09/01/2006