b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Septuagintal influence on Masoretic Hebrew text

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Eric Weiss <papaweiss1 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Septuagintal influence on Masoretic Hebrew text
  • Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 11:03:34 -0700 (PDT)

In its appendix on manuscripts used for both the Hebrew Scriptures (OT) and
the Greek (NT) Scriptures, a New Testament I was perusing makes the following
statements:

"The Hebrew version in circulation today, the so-called Massoretic (sic)
Text, is chiefly a re-translation of the Septuagint into Medieval Hebrew
that was produced in stages between the 2nd and 9th centuries and upon
which the Old Testament King James Version is based.... The
Massoretic (sic) Text is partly a restoration of these six translations
[i.e., Aquila (A.D. 130), Theodotion (A.D. 180), Symmachus (A.D. 210),
and the so-called Quinta, Sexta, and Septima (all 3rd century)] as well."

If I am correctly understanding this, they are saying that the Hebrew
Masoretic
text is in large part a re-translation from a Septuagintal/Greek text. How
valid is
this claim? It's the first time I've heard/read such a thing. If it's a false
or
erroneous claim, where can I find sources/documentation to disprove it?

Eric S. Weiss

Talk is cheap. Use Yahoo! Messenger to make PC-to-Phone calls. Great rates
starting at 1ยข/min.