b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] 1Sam 19:1

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "B. M. Rocine" <brocine AT twcny.rr.com>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] 1Sam 19:1
  • Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 08:53:29 -0400

Hi Martin,

Perhaps a third translation possibility is the best choice, one that we may find as ambiguous as the Hebrew:

"Saul spoke ...about killing David."

If pressed to make a choice between your two alternatives, I would prefer the idea that Saul was telling Jonathan and his servants to kill David because the Hebrew infinitive often expresses a purpose.

Shalom,
Bryan

Martin Arhelger wrote:
1st Samuel 19:1 has literally: "And Saul spoke to Jonathan his son, and to
all his servants, to kill David."

The infinitive construct "to kill" (or: to bring to death) is translated by
many Bibles as "that they should kill" whereas others translate "that he
would kill David".

Is there a possibility to decide which understanding is more in agreement
with Hebrew usage?

--
B. M. Rocine
Living Word Church