b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] tanakh in hebrew and copyright rules

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "kenneth greifer" <greifer AT hotmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] tanakh in hebrew and copyright rules
  • Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 03:29:48 +0000

Maybe this is not the right place to ask, but I don't know who else to ask. Is the Tanakh in Hebrew copyrighted? I have seen many books and internet sites that say they are copyrighted, but I thought the Torah was public domain. Is it because they use their own Hebrew fonts or is it something else? I have heard that you can only copyright the source code for a web site.

Also, when scholars write books, do they type in all of the Hebrew quotes from the Tanakh themselves or do they use ready-made quotes copied from a book or a cd? Do they have to get permission from a publisher and pay for the right to quote the Hebrew or do they have a public domain version? Is there a public domain Hebrew Tanakh on CD that anyone can use even if it was for commercial purposes?

Sincerely,

Kenneth Greifer