b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Authorship of Genesis 2:4-4:26 (or 2:5-5:1)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Authorship of Genesis 2:4-4:26 (or 2:5-5:1)
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 20:08:41 -0700

Jill:

The word SPR comes from a root meaning to (re)count, referring to both
counting of numbers and telling a story. As a noun, it refers to a
document that recounts a story.

As for the suffix on HBR), I don't see why not? It does not act the
same way as in English, and in this context more like an English
gerund than a verb, in which case the suffix fits.

Karl W. Randolph.