b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Authorship of Genesis 2:4-4:26 (or 2:5-5:1)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Joel Stucki" <joel AT stucki.ws>
  • To: "JAMES CHRISTIAN READ" <JCR128 AT student.apu.ac.uk>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Authorship of Genesis 2:4-4:26 (or 2:5-5:1)
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 20:46:41 -0700

On 7/16/06, JAMES CHRISTIAN READ <JCR128 AT student.apu.ac.uk> wrote:
Karl has suggested that Genesis 5:1 was an authorship
signature attributing authorship of Genesis 2:5-5:1 to
Adam himself. We have yet to see the evidence of this
ANE practise but I am particularly suspicious of this
one because I find it difficult to believe that fallen
Adam would be considered worthy of authoring a part of
what would become the hebrew canon.

James C. Read
UK

Not all traditions have a negative view of Adam. The Koran identifies
him as a prophet. Many Jewish commentators have positive views of him
as well. Christian views are quite varied. Some might suggest that a
single wrong act might not permanently disqualify him from righteous
deeds. There is also quite a bit of Jewish and Christian tradition and
early apocryphal documents that claim Adam kept records. I believe
Josephus even says as much.

Joel Stucki