b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Authorship of Genesis 2:4-4:26 (or 2:5-5:1)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: jvass AT indiana.edu
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Authorship of Genesis 2:4-4:26 (or 2:5-5:1)
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 20:34:12 -0400

Dear all,
Regarding the line Bereshit 5:1, "zeh seifer toldat Adam...":

Seifer refers to written documentation of the lineage of Adam, which
follows this verse rather than precedes it. So I do not understand how
this could be an author's signature of what precedes it, particularly
as it begins a chapter and what follows is precisely what it introduces.

Chapter five contrasts quite a bit from the lineages of noah {beginning
with " 'eleh toldot noah..", in Isaiah 43:9, and the lineage of the
sons of Noah beginning with the words " 'eleh toldot
benei-noah shem, ham ve yafet.." in Bereshit 10:1. What follows those
two statements which lack the word 'seifer' seem to be folk narratives
or oral history describing groups of peoples and their characteristics
whereas what we have in chapter five is a specific genealogy of a
family line for ten generations.

Whoever kept these records, it would seem they refer to chapter five.

My question is: What is the verb “be hibar’am in 2:4? It is nifal, is
it a past tense form for lamed alef? This is the line that seems to
introduce the second creation story (‘eleh toldot hashmayim ve ha’aretz
behibar’am…) or perhaps join the two stories.

Best,
Jill