b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] For clarification and philosophical understanding...a general request

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] For clarification and philosophical understanding...a general request
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2006 11:34:57 -0700

Dear Carl:

Different people have different standards of evidence that they will
accept. Even different fields of study differ on what they consider
valid evidence.

Under classical thought, used in ancient Greece and Rome, a logically
understood concept was supreme. All other concepts were to be in
subjection to logic and rational thought. An application in "science"
of this way of thinking would put theory at the head, the most
important, of scientific inquiry.

On the other hand, under the influence of the Reformation, action
became the most important factor that supersedes all others. For
example, in science, observation, even when the observation is not
understood, takes precedence over any other factor, even to the
overthrowing of theories. To make sure one observation was not a
fluke, other observations of the same phenomenon are necessary. In
history, human records take precedence over modern reconstructions
based on theory. Imperfect as they are, human records recount past
events that no longer can be observed. Reformation thinking is not
irrational, rather it puts rationality as the servant of observation,
not the boss as in classical thought.

Classical thought, as done in ancient Greece and Rome, is still widely
practiced, especially in philosophy, but was also a factor in the
resurrection of the ancient belief in evolution in the 18th and 19th
centuries. You will find among some of our members a call for people
to follow a rational way of thinking, to acknowledge theory, as the
way to understand the development of the Hebrew language.

I, among others on this list, am in more than one way a son of the
Reformation, accept nothing less than a paper trail as the foundation
for theory. We find in copies of the ancient records that Moses wrote
Torah in the mid second millenium BC. The only thing we find that
contradicts those records is theory. According to Reformation
thinking, the records take precedence over theory. The only way to
disprove those records is to find other records that contradict those
records in a way that is more trustworthy than those records. Even
archeology is not enough, unless it finds written records.

To sum up, disagreements on the development of Biblical Hebrew
language are based on classical vs. Reformation thought: the primacy
of theory and rationality on the one hand, or on observation on the
other.

I hope this helps.

Karl W. Randolph.