b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] For clarification and philosophical understanding...a general request

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Carl Christensen" <cwbachur AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] For clarification and philosophical understanding...a general request
  • Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2006 20:09:49 -0400

Hello to All,

I direct this request to all parties as to avoid "taking a dog by the ears"
and to seek common fellowship in this forum. Being a new reader to this
forum I have observed a few things that may aid my understanding, at least,
and perhaps clarify discussion.

I would like to raise the awarness of the philosophical considerations that
are greatly being avoided in discussion. I have been educated in Hebrew
only three years and comparative Semitics for two years (Ugaratic, Aramaic,
Egyptian Hieroglyphs). Therefore, I am at least aware--but not keenly
astute--of assumptions being proported behind statements of "logic" and
"evidence." Could these assumptions be at least refrenced more specifically
in the disscussion--especialy of large topics such as "Lingusitical
Evolution of Semtic Languages" and "Canaanite Dilects"? Could these also be
referenced without misunderstood labels or at least with brief explication
of those labels?

I recognize this is a forum for disscussing Hebrew Studies; I desire to
remain in this scope and not stray to philosophical inquiry. In fact, we
may avoid unnecessary segues by stating assumptions or at least provoke more
thought.

I simply believe this to be a scholarly courtesy for the facility and
alacrity of discussion. If untenable or unreasonable let my comments rest.
If profitable, let it be of aid. Come whatever may.

Best Regards,
Carl Christensen
Maryland, USA
--
אשרי־אדם לא יחשב יהוה לו עון ואין ברוחו רמיה