b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Psalm 118:6

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter AT qaya.org>
  • To: Kim Chua <s_kim_chua AT yahoo.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Psalm 118:6
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 10:47:36 +0100

On 27/06/2006 07:31, Kim Chua wrote:
Thanks for all the help. I had thought if it could be
YHVH+I as in EL+I = my God

This kind of construction never happens. YHWH is nowhere in the Hebrew Bible found with a personal suffix. The only examples of YHWH apparently being "possessed", i.e. in the construct state, are in the construction YHWH C:BA)OT, traditionally translated "LORD of hosts", but it is unclear whether this should really be understood as a construct chain. Whenever the English is something like "my Lord", "Lord of all the earth" (Joshua 3:11,13 etc) etc, "Lord" renders )ADON [not )ADONAY], the regular word for "lord", "master" used also of human lords and masters. As YHWH functions as a name, and unlike Abraham etc this name refers to only one deity, there is no need for YHWH to be possessed, even grammatically.

--
Peter Kirk
E-mail: peter AT qaya.org