b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Benjamin

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Benjamin
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 22:55:19 +0200

Karl,

If by "the claim you mentioned in the paragraph at the bottom of this note" you mean "the insistance of some scholars that anything in the ANE must be somehow related to the Bible, and that the "Patriarchal traditions" in the Bible MUST reflect a "pre-Israelite" reality", than I agree, this claim is also absurd.

Where I don't think that I agree with you is when your state that "they assume that any name that is also reported in Tanakh therefore refers to a Biblical individual is a de facto denial that names may have been reused by ancient, Semitic peoples".

Do you mean that anyone who thinks that "Abraham" was a real person automatically denies that there may have been other, unrelated, people who were also named "Abraham"? Why?

Yigal Levin

----- Original Message ----- From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>