b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Gotthelf Bergstrasser

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: <cmeadows3 AT verizon.net>
  • To: Chris and Nel <wattswestmaas AT eircom.net>, b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Gotthelf Bergstrasser
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2006 15:03:44 -0500 (CDT)

Hi!

I bought this book last year. Basically is it what it says it is. It gives
some specimens of script form semitic languages, including Aramaic, Hebrew,
Hebrew with Babylonian vowel pointing, Arabic, Ethiopic, Akkadian, Ugaritic
and perhaps a few others. It is organized into chapters, one for each
language. The text is given, sometimes with phonetic pronunciation. There
is some commentary made to the peculiarities of the given language and its
similarities and differences when compared to other semitic languages. It is
an interesting book - but I must admnit I don't use it much. It is written
for a reader with significant linguistic knowledge. I found John Kaltner's
"Beyond Babel" to be of similar scope but easier to read - but Kaltner does
not give the nice "text specimens" in original script that Bergstrasser does.

Charles Meadows
Asst Professor
Marshall University