b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Gotthelf Bergstrasser

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Chris and Nel" <wattswestmaas AT eircom.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Gotthelf Bergstrasser
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 21:18:05 +0100

Hallo Members of the board, I'm back again (though my absence was undoubtedly appreciated since I am known for constantly asking questions and never being able to give answers) Now I am looking for some insider information about a book which I am sure most of you have on your bookshelves.:

Introduction to the Semitic Languages
Text Specimens and Grammatical Sketches

by Gotthelf BergstrasserPaperback 276 pages (June 1995)
Translated by Peter T. Daniels ISBN: 093146417X

My question is simple, is this book full of linguistic science and detailed grammatical analysis - which is then very much a no-go area for me. Or could it be well beneficial to someone at an elementary level who wants to familiarise himeself but not TOO deeply bogged down in masses of case ending variations and phoneme replacements in a complex array of different semitic dialects? I understand that it is comparative semitic languages through charts and sketches (further information i can not find) and the only review I could find was that only people with certain linguistic knowledge would appreciate Gotthelf's analysis?!?!?. Yet I am eager to find out more about the Minaean scripts and the "proto-semitic" scripts, and northwest semitics in general. Unfortunately the web can only take me so far since I do not have access to all those university archives and papers written by so many. Looking at wadi el hol and serabet el Khadim all day is the best that I can find along with some phonecian (although I prefer to name it educated canaanite).

So any advice would be appreciated since this book is very expensive in England and you can not even buy it in Ireland.

Thanking you
Chris Watts
Ireland.