b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] law

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Shoshanna Walker <rosewalk AT concentric.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] law
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 15:56:04 -0500

The way we understand this, is that the righteous of each generation, beginning with Adam, knew Torah and passed it down. Noah's son and grandson had a "yeshiva" and Avraham and Yitzchak sent their sons to learn there. This is how Noah knew which animals were the "clean" animals (ie; kosher) way before the Torah was given to Moshe (remember - he took 7 of each of the clean animals and 2 of all the rest, into the ark)

Shoshanna

I would suggest that the so-called laws that you see
listed in the Hebrew Bible were simply the ancestral customs of the people
Israel and that these were their customs from time immemorial, way before
there was a Moses.