b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Psalms and Sedarim

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Brak <Brak AT neo.rr.com>
  • To: JCR128 AT student.apu.ac.uk
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Psalms and Sedarim
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 19:06:38 -0500

It is true that some of the parshot are broken up that way, but not in this case though.

A while back I did a contextual analysis and a large group of breaks. Some of the breaks are in the strangest places. Such as right smack in the middle of a genealogy list. The last line in the sedar told the first, second and third sons, the next seder continued with the fourth son and continues with the rest of the genealogy list. Another break splits up a poem.

Here is one blatant one that I was able to quickly find as an example:

Joshua 18:25 "Gibeon, and Ramah, and Beeroth,"
Joshua 18:26 "And Mizpeh, and Chephirah, and Mozah,"
Joshua 18:27 "And Rekem, and Irpeel, and Taralah,"
BREAK
Joshua 18:28 "And Zelah, Eleph, and Jebusi, which is Jerusalem, Gibeath, and Kirjath; fourteen cities with their villages. This is the inheritance of the children of Benjamin according to their families."

So you see the logical place for the break would be after verse 28. in fact the text has a paragraph break <P> after this verse. But the sedarim break is at the beginning of this verse. Befuddling.

It truly is a mystery. And to my dismay I haven't found anyone or anything which has an explanation to the breaks.
Hence me coming and join this forum. With such a collection of scholars I was hoping that someone would have an answer/explanation.

B"H
Brak

JAMES CHRISTIAN READ wrote:

Just a thought (maybe a silly one but never mind) but you how soap operas allways try to have a cliffhanger ending so that you are motivated to watch the 'next thrilling installment'? Maybe the method behind the madness of placing illogical divisions was to get the reader interested in the next bit so that he would look forward to the next seder???