b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ps 32:6 RQ

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.Ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ps 32:6 RQ
  • Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 14:23:36 -0500

Steve:

RQ is used also for the emphatic, to indicate
something special about the subject. Even many
places where it is still translated as "only", it
has the undercurrent of emphasis as in the "even"
at the beginning of this sentence, as in Genesis
6:5. In the example below of King Ahab, the
emphatic is that there was no king as bad as he.

In Psalm 32:6 the emphatic use of RQ is used: "even
the washing over of many waters will not touch
him."

Karl W. Randolph.