b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] QNH-BSM

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter AT qaya.org>
  • To: tladatsi AT charter.net
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] QNH-BSM
  • Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 21:53:27 +0100

On 24/05/2006 17:32, tladatsi AT charter.net wrote:
Peter,

Yes, that was a very interesting paper. You are correct it did not resolve
anything definitely although it does state that based on ancient writings,
including but not limited to Herodotus, it was cultivated in antiquity.
The central point is, based on how the word QNH-BSM or

even QNH alone is used in the Hebrew text, it suggests a plant that is stiff,

straight, and woody. ...

Jack, I'm not sure why you are writing this to me. I am not the one who has claimed that QNH or some compound with it is the Hebrew word for "cannabis". I am not convinced that your arguments rule this out, but also I have seen no good positive evidence. My contention relates rather to the GREEK derivation of the name of "cannabis", that KANNABIS is derived from KANNA in a process within the Greek language. If you wanted to convince me that this was wrong, you would have to appeal to the Greek use of KANNA rather than to the Hebrew use of QNH. But then that would be out of place on a Hebrew list.

Since, it seems, no one is advocating the QNH-BSM etymology, I suggest you stop attacking this straw man (hemp man?) so we can return to matters relevant to Hebrew.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)