b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] the name Qumran

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: goranson AT duke.edu
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] the name Qumran
  • Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 15:13:04 -0400

Quoting Herman Meester <crazymulgogi AT gmail.com>:

(Apparently, this list is not the place to discuss this, but before I stop
doing so:)
maybe we can agree then, given the acknowledgement that there are definitely
mss. among the DSS that were *not* written by the "Essenes at Qumran" that
we should study each individual manuscript as if it has nothing to do with
Essenes, Qumran, etc.? This way, it doesn't really matter who was where and
when - let the texts speak for themselves, without attributing them to any
specific group. Seems to me to be the healthiest approach.
regards,
Herman

Dear Herman,
It depends, in part: do you also read "each individual manuscript as if it had
nothing to do with," say, Sadducees, Pharisees, Jerusalem, Damascus, Josephus,
and so on?
all the best,
Stephen Goranson
http://www.duke.edu/~goranson