b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] QNH-BSM

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: <tladatsi AT charter.net>
  • To: Peter Kirk <peter AT qaya.org>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] QNH-BSM
  • Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 16:46:24 -0700

Peter & Co.

While cultivation of hemp is well documented in China for thousands of years,
it was found naturally and used ubiquiously in Asia and Europe since the
stone age. The manufacture of hemp rope was widely practiced. Here is a
link to an interesting paper on the topic.

http://mojo.calyx.net/~olsen/HEMP/IHA/jiha5208.html

We do know that Herodotus knew of hemp in 450 BCE. He takes its existance
for granted and does not state or imply it is a new crop.

Why would we hypothesis a linguistic link? We don't know that QHN even
refers to hemp (Cannabis sative). In Exodus 37 QHN is used fro the
candlestick holders in with the ark. Cannabis is would not be strong enough
to be a support and is not a very pretty plant for decoration. In Job 31:22
QHN seems to be used as word for "bone" suggesting something strong and
stiff, like cane not hemp. Likewise in Isa 46:6 it is used as the beam in
balance. Once more, a stiff straight rod, like cane, not hemp. The context
of the use would favor cane, not hemp.

It seems to be, to me, a faux ami.

Jack.