b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] QNH-BSM

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter AT qaya.org>
  • To: tladatsi AT charter.net
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] QNH-BSM
  • Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 20:21:31 +0100

On 20/05/2006 18:14, tladatsi AT charter.net wrote:
... In any event I cannot think of any non-religeous Hebrew loan words to
Greek, certainly not before the CE. ...

How about Greek KANNA and KANWN (W = omega; cf English "cane" and "canon") from Hebrew QANEH, or at least from its Semitic cognates? This is of course semantically and lexically very close to the hypothesised KANNABIS loan. In fact KANNABIS, if not Scythian or Thracian, could well be a Greek compound of KANNA and something else, although probably the latter element is not Hebrew BSM.

Also of course we have most of the names of the Greek letters of the alphabet, which are clearly loans from NW Semitic. It is of course almost impossible to distinguish loans from Hebrew from loans from its closely related languages, unless this is clear from a religious context.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)