b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] psalm 40:7

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Steve Miller" <smille10 AT sbcglobal.net>
  • To: "'kenneth greifer'" <kennethgreifer AT messianicmistakes.com>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] psalm 40:7
  • Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 21:08:41 -0400

[Steve Miller] I agree that ears being opened (literally digged) does not
make sense. Does anyone have any explanation for the discrepancy between
this verse in the Hebrew Bible and the NT quote of this verse, which agrees
with LXX?

Psalm 40:7 - Sacrifice and oblation You did not desire: ears You have digged
for me.

Hebrews 10:5 - Sacrifice and offering You willed not, but You have prepared
me a body.

When I look at the LXX Greek-to-Hebrew mapping, none of the possible Hebrew
words, that the LXX translated as "body", come close to the Hebrew word for
"ears" אָזְנַיִם.

Also, some OT translations (Darby, YLT) translate the phrase in Psalm 40:7
as "ears You have prepared for me." Is there any Hebrew manuscript that
supports "prepared" instead of "digged".

Thanks,
-Steve Miller
Detroit