b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 8:22

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Harold R. Holmyard III" <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 8:22
  • Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 14:20:10 -0500

Dear Karl,

The moment that you can "stick in an alternative
interpretation", especially when that alternative
interpretation is linguistically allowable, then
you cannot insist that your interpretation is the
only correct one.

HH: There are all sorts of wrong views of words and verses in the Bible that have a superficial plausibility. If we could not insist on a correct view of words and statements simply because an alternative exists, we could never preach God's word with authority.

How do you define "best interpretation"? What
objective standards do you adduce?

HH: The best interpretation is the one closest to what the author meant when he wrote the words. This is determined by the whole hermeneutical process, part of which is word definition. Here are a couple of web sites where you can read about the principles of hermeneutics. The first is quite good:

http://www.forananswer.org/Top_General/Hermeneutics.htm

http://www.themoorings.org/doctrine/issues/hermeneutics/intent.html

Yours,
Harold Holmyard