b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 8:22

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Harold R. Holmyard III" <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 8:22
  • Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 12:16:45 -0500

Dear Karl,

Don't you see that by agreeing here, you have
undercut your insistence that Genesis 8:22 mentions
resuming the cycle of seasons that existed prior to
the flood?

HH: Genesis 8:22 does not even mention the word "season." Agreement with you about the meaning of the English word "season" undermines nothing because the issue is the meaning of the Hebrew word MW(D, not the English word "season." Arguments about the meaning of Genesis 8:22 are sustained in many other ways. The fact is that Jeremiah 8:7 is talking about a season. Bird migrations occurs over periods of time involving months, not just days. So "season" is an appropriate term to use to describe the times of bird migration. "Season" is, in fact, a term used with respect to bird migration.

As for the rest of the message, I won't bother to
reply to it. I have already discussed in detail why
I disagree with you, I see no reason to bore the
list with repeating myself.

HH: I don't know if you read the rest of my previous post to B-Hebrew, but others will read it and see that my arguments are strong and have solid grounding . The Dead Sea Scrolls and other Hebrew documents are where the Dictionary of Classical Hebrew gets proof that MW(D refers to seasons. The interpretative material I gave you shows that my view of Gen 8:22 is the standard view and not idiosyncratic.

HH: Here are some sample links from Google showing that "season" is used of bird migration:

GLRC
MIGRATION SEASON BRINGS BIRD FLU WORRIES. view full size image. Julie Craves stands in the area where she sets up mist nets during migration to catch land ...
www.glrc.org/story.php3?story_id=2982 - 44k - Cached - Similar pages

The Mystery of Bird Migration - article for people interesting in ...
And although we have learned much, there is so much more that we are learning each migration season. Fall migration allows birds to move to a different ...
birding.about.com/library/weekly/aa032898.htm - 38k - Cached - Similar pages

Migration of Birds
The Canada Goose affords a typical example of regular but slow migration. Its advance northward is at the same rate as the advance of the season (Figure 5). ...
www.npwrc.usgs.gov/resource/birds/migratio/speed.htm - 18k - Cached - Similar pages

BIRD MIGRATION: Evolution
BIRD MIGRATION: Evolution ambience: Dawn Chorus, bird calls. This season, literally billions of birds will migrate in search of a winter habitat with an ...
www.pulseplanet.com/archive/Sep99/1974.html - 15k - Cached - Similar pages

Canada Goose Information: Nesting Season, Molting Season ...
For information about nesting, molting and migration of the Canada goose, ... Autumn Migration Season:. Once they have regrown their flight feathers in the ...
www.wildgoosechasers.com/gooseinfo.php - 11k - Cached - Similar pages

NJDEP Division of Fish & Wildlife - 2005-06 Migratory Bird Season ...
2005-06 Migratory Bird Season - Information and Population Status - An ... Serious damage to agriculture also occurs in migration and wintering areas. ...
www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/artmigratory05.htm - 24k - Cached - Similar pages

Spring migration season has France on edge - Health & Science ...
The French bird flu outbreak provides the strongest suggestion yet that migration is part of the problem. ... Spring migration season has France on edge ...
www.iht.com/articles/2006/03/01/news/birds.php - 37k - Cached - Similar pages

National Geographic News @ nationalgeographic.com
Season, of course, is the biggest factor in bird migration. But second is weather, and particularly wind direction. Optimum conditions for northbound ...
news.nationalgeographic.com/ news/2000/11/1106_migration.html - 34k - Cached - Similar pages

Bird Migration Materials Needed, Rationale, Instructional ...
How does weather affect bird migration? birds follow different air patterns which change with the season. Problems encountered while migrating ...
www.outfitters.com/~tom/ scimath97/featherfriends/MIGRATE.HTM - 8k - Cached - Similar pages

Yours,
Harold Holmyard