b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 8:22

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 8:22
  • Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 19:48:09 -0500

Harold:

I agree with Dave in that the text implies that
there was a new natural order after the flood, one
that has seasons whereas the antediluvian world
didn't.

While I, unlike Dave, am a young earth creationist
(i.e. I believe that God created the universe only
a few thousand years ago), I have not been active
in the creationist movement and, other than
Genesis, have only a passing familiarity with other
creationist literature. Thus the main reason I hold
to a young earth creationism is because of the
linguistic structure of Genesis.

An argument could be made based on Genesis 1:14,
when God created the sun, moon and stars, that
seasons were mentioned, but the Hebrew does not say
seasons (as in summer, fall, winter and spring)
rather just times, appointed celebrations, years
and other are mentioned. The implication that I
draw from that omission is that the seasons didn't
exist until after the flood. Before the flood, all
time was harvest time, after the flood, there was
a particular harvest time, before no winter, after
winter cut off vegetative growth, and so forth.

Yes I recognize that the main intent of the passage
is that a world wide flood would never again kill
all life, this can also be read that God told Noah
that things will be different after the flood than
before.

Karl W. Randolph.