b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] shwa

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Rolf Furuli <furuli AT online.no>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] shwa
  • Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 18:51:02 +0100

Dear Yitzhak,

In the text of the Hexapla that is known to us we find at least 10 WAYYIQTOLs and 8 WEYIQTOLs. They all have the prefix OU- where the Masoretes have WE- and WA-. Would Yuditsky and yourself argue that the OU-prefix represents the same original vowel, that is, there were no difference between WAYYIQTOL and WEYIQTOL in Origen's Vorlage? Or could the OU- represent two different original vowels? And in that case, which vowels?

Best regards,

Rolf Furuli
University of Oslo