b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] shwa

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dr. Joel M. Hoffman" <joel AT exc.com>
  • To: VadimCherny AT mail.ru
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] shwa
  • Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 08:05:01 -0500 (EST)

>I understood you saying in the quoted message that each schwa represents a
>vowel. Thus, the question, what vowel is represented by schwa in niphal?

I don't know how I can be clearer. "Shwa"="no vowel." When there's
no vowel, there's a shwa. That's it.

Tiberian Hebrew orthography requires a mark under (almost) every
non-final letter. When there's no vowel sound, and thus no vowel
mark, a shwa gets written.

-Joel

Joel M. Hoffman, PhD
http://www.exc.com/JoelHoffman