b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] 1 Sam 1 and 2 -about Samuel or about Saul?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter AT qaya.org>
  • To: "Sesamo m." <sesamox AT hotmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] 1 Sam 1 and 2 -about Samuel or about Saul?
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 11:12:53 +0000

On 31/01/2006 10:41, Sesamo m. wrote:

How can believers of the divine inspiration of the Bible deal with these ideas? I guess the answer for the second point is a question of exegesis and so out of place in this forum, but the first point has to do with the language itsef.

I would think that most believers in divine inspiration would consider that the arguments which you have put forward are extremely weak and would dismiss them without serious consideration. For I think we would all agree that they are far from conclusive. There are many possible explanations of the naming formula in 1:20, and the only thing monarchist about the song is the last part of 2:10 which could easily be a later addition although it could also be prophetic, or just an indication of the popular longing for a king. (And this would hardly fit with the birth of Saul either, for there was no king when Saul was born.)

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)