b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] CV syllables, was music in Hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Herman Meester <crazymulgogi AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] CV syllables, was music in Hebrew
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 16:28:24 +0100

Shalom chevre ;)

Please allow me a few comments.
First of all, the Palestinian rabbi's pronunciation of Hebrew and
Aramaic is not necessarily the same as that of the Babylonians.
If we limit ourselves to the Tiberian system of our usually used MT we
can observe a few things:

a) a distinct vowel sign is most probably meant by the Masoretes as a
differently pronounced vowel. This is reflected in the Ashkenazi
pronunciation of Hebrew. The qametz problem, therefore, originally
does not exist.

b) the vowel sign that is put under the consonant sign or on the left
side of it is always pronounced as a vowel *after* the given
consonant.
So the idea that in the case of the so-called "patach furtivum" (as in
רוח ,שבוע etc.), the patach is pronounced *before* instead of after
the consonant -by way of exception- is nonsense. The patach is
pronounced "for" the `ayin, hey or chet, i.e. "instead of" it.
The reason for this is that these gutturals/laryngals were not
pronounced anymore by the Palestinian Masoretes. If they had
pronounced them, they would not have needed to write any vowel there.

Therefore, in the original pronunciation of Hebrew (poetry) the
gutturals must be studied -if we talk about matters of rhythm, number
of syllables, etc.- *as if* they are not gutturals at all. If we have
a word with a guttural, we have to compare it to another word without
a guttural that has the same structure, such as Ya`aqob vs.
Yiktob/yaktub(u?).

Sorry if I'm not telling anything new, but I was trying to create some
clarity for myself too, so even I could understand the present
discussion.
One tricky thing is the alef. Like the hey when the latter is used as
a mater lectionis, often the alef is silent. The question is how long
it has been silent. That question may be relevant for the psalms too,
at least if you're a syllable counter. Unlike the "real" hey, chet,
and `ayin, the alif may have been used (occasionally of course) as a
real mater lectionis in quite an early phase of the biblical
literature. On the other hand, it is possible that all alefs really
were real consonants. All that affects the syllable count in poetry -
in my view, to the extent that we will never really know. A
problematic word is, for example, smol (left/north) - may have had two
syllables, something like *sam'al.

One thing that, imho, is impossible is the idea that words like Ruach
and Shavua` were ever originally *Rucha or *Shavu`a, as Karl
suggested.

Best regards,
Herman