b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] CV syllables, was music in Hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] CV syllables, was music in Hebrew
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 18:58:47 -0500

Herman:

Thanks for your response. But now my disagreement.

First of all, is not that a final he, as in LYLH, is presently a
mater lectionis a relatively recent phenomenon? Without
native speakers of Biblical Hebrew to interview, how can
we be sure that our modern pronunciation is even close to
Biblical pronunciation? If all syllables have a CV structure,
the accusative would have been indicated not by an open
-a sound as in modern pronunciation with the he as a
mater lectionis, rather the he would be pronounced,
followed by a vowel, would it not?

Today Japanese is officially a CV language, but when I
listen to radio programs on a local station, when the
announcer speaks quickly, many of the unstressed
vowels simply disappear. I can imagine that much the
same happened to Hebrew unstressed vowels.
Particularly those at the ends of words.

I will close with what I have said all along, that I am not
100% convinced that Biblical Hebrew was a CV
language, rather I am throwing this out as a discussion.
But I'm not finding convincing arguments against the
proposition either.

Thanks again.

Karl W. Randolph.