b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew keyboard & font size

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter AT qaya.org>
  • To: "Maurice A. O'Sullivan" <mauros AT iol.ie>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew keyboard & font size
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 18:07:48 +0000

On 17/01/2006 17:56, Maurice A. O'Sullivan wrote:

At 16:25 17/01/2006, you wrote:

You can install OpenOffice on MSWindows too. It will soon beat
MSOffice in any aspect, not only price.

When I send a .DOC file ( formatted in MS Windows XP ) and use classical Greek, Hebrew, or Coptic fonts in a few places to friends who do not have these fonts on their machine ( and have not intention of so doing ) I can "embed" merely the characters I have used in those fonts ( or the entire font ).

I cannot do this in OpenOffice, either in the original version, or the update version.

But you can create a PDF with embedded fonts (the default for PDFs), and that is the recommended way of distributing documents when you don't want others to change them. You cannot generate PDFs with Microsoft Word, although (for Windows) you can get free add-ons like pdf995 which allow you to create PDFs from any Windows application.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)