b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Theophoric name: Y:HOWYFQIYM

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Uri Hurwitz <uhurwitz AT yahoo.com>
  • To: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Theophoric name: Y:HOWYFQIYM
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2006 17:06:53 -0800 (PST)

There is Akkadian evidence for the pronounciation of such
theophoric PNs including Yehoyakhin ( really a variaton of the name
discussed). It reads: " ia -' - u' - kin " cf. ANET 2 , p. 308. This was
published some time ago, so there may be more up-to-date readings.

Here the Waw serves already as a vowel. But one should keep in mind that
this was written by an Akkadian scribe.

Uri

I stayed out of the last round on the pronunciation of God's name, and I
will this time as well. I'll just say that I assume that the Waw in YHWH was
consonantal, and later shifted to a vowel sound.

Yigal