b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Psalms 68

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Gene Gardner <g_gardner1234 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Psalms 68
  • Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 18:01:50 -0800 (PST)

Yitzhak stated: Finally, it would help to know, when citing translations and
comparing them, which translation gives which. And your transcription of the
Hebrew, while consistent, (and we all have Bibles that we can look it up), is
still confusing, for example, in using s = Shin and $ = Samekh. The grave is
also commonly used for an Ayin rather than an Aleph as you have it. The
standard transcription scheme for the list is at:
http://www.ibiblio.org/bhebrew/ I personally don't mind deviations but the
ones I noted above are confusing. Thank you for the thorough and fact
filled explanation Yitzhak. I will take your suggestions for future postings,
and observe the list transliteration scheme.

---------------------------------
Yahoo! Shopping
On 15/12/2005 02:01, Gene Gardner wrote:

>Yitzhak stated: Finally, it would help to know, when citing translations
>and comparing them, which translation gives which. And your transcription
>of the Hebrew, while consistent, (and we all have Bibles that we can look it
>up), is still confusing, for example, in using s = Shin and $ = Samekh. The
>grave is also commonly used for an Ayin rather than an Aleph as you have it.
> The standard transcription scheme for the list is at:
>http://www.ibiblio.org/bhebrew/ I personally don't mind deviations but the
>ones I noted above are confusing. Thank you for the thorough and fact
>filled explanation Yitzhak. I will take your suggestions for future
>postings, and observe the list transliteration scheme.

Gene, another tip which would make things easier for other list users:
Please don't write your replies simply as a continuation of what you are
replying to, with no new paragraph marking etc, as above. When this
happens it takes a lot of time to work out what is actual reply, in fact
the message at first looks like a blank reply sent by accident. Note
that this list does not support HTML formatting, so any distinctions of
font, colour etc are lost. I personally like to use the automatic reply
indentation facility which is in many mail programs, as I have used
here. If you don't have anything like this available, you need to mark
your reply in some other clear way.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)