b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Alter's translation (Was: Daniel 6:27 (timeindefinite) II)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Herman Meester <crazymulgogi AT gmail.com>
  • To: Karl Randolph <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Alter's translation (Was: Daniel 6:27 (timeindefinite) II)
  • Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 19:10:10 +0100

Dear Karl,
Hebrew being VSO doesn't mean it's the only possible order, just that
it's the basic order. It's simply a matter of statistics. As you in a
way admitted, we cannot use poetic clauses to describe Hebrew syntax.
Could you, then, produce clear prose clauses where the *basic* order
of BH seems not to be VSO?

Do you mean the reason to open a clause with a verb is usually its
prefix? Even then, the result is usually VSO. You can hardly claim
that inside the imperfect there is a pronoun.

What I would most like to hear from you is what you think of the clear
parrallel in Gen 2,4-7.
Regards
Herman