b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] etymology

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter AT qaya.org>
  • To: "Dr. Joel M. Hoffman" <joel AT exc.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] etymology
  • Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 11:27:26 +0000

On 21/11/2005 00:30, Dr. Joel M. Hoffman wrote:

That's interesting, and it reinforces my point. If "patent"
originally meant "obvious," that etymological bit of knowledge helps
not at all in deducing that in the US today, a "patent" is awarded
only for something that's not obvious.

Before it was a patent, it was not obvious, but as soon as it is a patent, it is "obvious" in the sense that it is published.

Really, don't we all agree here that etymology doesn't tell you what a
word means?

Indeed.

--
Peter Kirk