b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Limitations of etymology

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Robert Newman" <rob AT designceramics.co.uk>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Limitations of etymology
  • Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 19:05:45 -0000

Hi James,
Regardless of its value, any such analysis needs to be done utmost precision,
these dictionary entries may help, notice the subtle differences. Your
definition of "finite" is more like the one for "definite"

Finite - having limits in size space or time
Definite - having precise limits or boundaries.
Define - to fix with precision, specify.
Infinite - having no limits or boundaries in time, space, extent or size.
Infinity - endless time, space or quantity.
Indefinite - without exact limits.

Robert Newman

James wrote:
Recently we have extensively discussed concepts such as 'core' meaning
and etymological evidences of that core meaning. We have gone through
the various uses of olam and discussed it range of meanings and
evidence has been brought in from its etymology. This made me thikn of
a parallel example in English.

Infinite

'Infinite' comes from 'finite' which means a clearly defined amount.
'Infinite'
is the semantic opposite of 'finite' and etymologically should mean 'an
undefined amount'. But is that its 'core' meaning???

Consider the following examples:

There is an infinite number of ways of doing it
To infinity and beyond

It is clear from these examples that while the etymology points us in the
direction of 'undefined amount' the 'core' meaning is quite different,
although
related. The 'core' meaning of infinite means without limits. This is exactly
what
'forever' does when we speak with reference to time.
I like to use what I refer to as the 'two year old test'.

Take a two year old and aks him what 'infinite number of years' means:
a)an undefined number of years
b)forever

I'm willing to bet that if he understands the question he will go with answer
b)

Could it be that 'olam' has the same behaviour. That its etymology is an
undefined
and hidden amount of time but that its core usage (in the future) is synonym
of
'forever'?